Pages

I'M PREGNANT!!! I'M PREGNANT!!! I'M PREGNANT!!! I'M PREGNANT!!!

And breathe.....it feels good to let that out....and more on breathing in the coming weeks!!

Contact me by emailing theeasybit@hotmail.co.uk



Thursday 9 September 2010

No sheep required!

I always used to struggle to get off to the land of slumber what with work, money, relationships etc coming to the forefront of my mind as soon as there was some quiet time.  Well no more, in fact, it's quite the opposite nowadays. 

I'd heard that tiredness could be a problem during the 1st and 3rd trimesters but this is just getting ridiculous!  Since week 5, I've been sleeping 12 hours a night when I used to be more than happy with an average of 8.  During the 12 hours that I am awake, I feel like the walking dead so I may as well be asleep for the amount that I'm actually getting done.  Daring to go food shopping results in at least an hour nap at the end of it.  A trip to the swimming pool resulted in a full day on the sofa the following day.

And my poor husband - he doesn't know what's hit him with the amount of cleaning and cooking he's expected to do now, never mind the fact that I can barely get 2 hours' work done before I'm dosing off at my desk so he's having to work harder to get the bills paid each month.  In fairness, he doesn't have to grow a baby or give birth to it so he's still got the easier job which he is doing without complaint.

Being the type of person I am, I've searched on the internet for tips on how to deal with the fatigue and, quite honestly, the solutions seem pretty useless for me. 

1) Nap whenever you can - But this doesn't actually help me get any work done.  I'm never at my best in the mornings and napping just makes the whole day feel like the morning.  Don't get me wrong, naps can happen when I least expect it but sleeping more doesn't actually help me achieve anything. 
2) Eat little and often - Who has the energy to cook?  Or even to get off the sofa and go and get some nuts!  Furthermore, the smell of the fridge, the bin, the kitchen, seemingly anything, sets off the nausea and then there's nothing that I can stomach eating anyway (massive thanks to the inventors of ice-lollies though!!)
3) Exercise everyday - I can only assume that this was suggested by a man who knows the theory but has no idea of reality!  Maybe that's harsh but, for me at least, I feel as though I've done a workout just from pushing the vacuum round, doing the food shopping or cleaning the bathroom - and all of those jobs could do with some more of my time and attention at the moment so exercising just doesn't get a look in.  I did have one weekend with an energy burst when I managed to go round a Maize Maze but that's about as good as it gets and I was completely useless the next day!!

Apparently it should all get better in 2nd tri so I'm counting down those last few weeks and trying not to think about the fact that 3rd tri is going to be back to the same but worse!  Never mind how hard it'll be once I actually have a child to care for! - it's much too intimidating to think that far ahead!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Ellie!

    My son is almost eleven years old now, but I still remember how flat-out exhausted I was the entire time I was pregnant. All I wanted to do was sleep, and nothing helped. My OB/GYN said that every woman experiences pregnancy differently and apparently for me it was normal to be a zombie. And I feel your pain about smells too. The best smells that I loved before I got pregnant, like frying bacon and coffee, would make me sick for the rest of the day. Just remember that it's all temporary and so worth it in the end. Best wishes and good luck!

    Nethie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Nethie

    That's good to hear - I was starting to wonder if I'm anemic but that's probably just the pregnancy paranoia kicking it. And I completely agree that it'll all be totally worth it in the end and I need to keep that in mind.

    Ah, bacon - used to be one of my best friends but I've not had it for weeks now. I totally went off coffee too but that has come back now (decaf only but that's good enough for me!)

    All the best, Ellie

    ReplyDelete